[Discuss] wiki suggestion?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Fri Aug 1 08:49:38 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Greg Rundlett (freephile)
<greg at freephile.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 2:00 AM, David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:
>
>> On 07/31/2014 10:50 PM, John Abreau wrote:
>> world where script kiddies destroy your site because they can.  I used
>> MediaWIki for one project and it is not designed like that.  It's very
>> hard to lock down, and script kiddies put porn links all over the site.
>>

> I think some clarification and correction is needed here with respect to
> the capabilities of MediaWiki.  MediaWiki software is very easy to lock
> down.  See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:User_rights
>
> I have zero script kiddies vandalizing my public (anonymous read) wiki
> (because anonymous write is not allowed; and you can't get an account
> unless I give you one.)
>
> I create wikis inside corporate firewalls where authentication is handled
> by Google Apps and content is not accessible unless you are logged in.
>  Certain content is white-listed (like the main page, and a page on login
> help) so that even if you have physical access to the wiki, you must
> authenticate in order to view pages.  That's pretty "locked down".  Once
> authenticated, anyone in the company can edit any page on the wiki.  That's
> what wikis are designed to do.

So if I understand what you are saying, MediaWiki gives either zero access
or 100% access?   Sort of like having a login on a Unix/Linux system where
every file/directory is Read/Write world.   You still need a login to
do anything,
but once you have one you can do practically anything.

Bill Bogstad