[Discuss] Seeking information on binaries called "entities" and "fixup"

Bill Horne bill at horne.net
Sat Aug 2 10:26:34 EDT 2014

On 8/2/2014 1:42 AM, Tom Metro wrote:
> Quoting your original message:
>> ...I'm seeking information about a binary named "entities", and one
>> named "fixup".  I've found them in a script that processes emails
>> into html pages for publications, but the script's author isn't
>> available, and neither is working.
> I gather the script is custom and not from some project? My guess would
> be that these tools were borrowed from some other project. Probably a
> mail archiving tool. Some more searching might turn up their origin.

I didn't see any mention of the name anywhere in this context.

> What's the big picture that you are trying to accomplish with the
> script? Presenting the Telecom Digest on a web site? Maybe an
> off-the-shelf mail archiving tool is a better way to go? (Like MHonArc.)

AFAICT, it's intended to replace HTML reserved characters with HTML
entities. Less-than becomes "<", etc.

> What language is the script written in? 'fixup' remains a mystery, but
> you probably know enough about 'entities' to replace it with some
> in-line code. Greg gave you a PHP example. It could be done as a
> one-liner in Perl, with the assistance of a module.

I don't know what language it was written in. I accepted help from a
volunteer who installed several scripts, and this binary was in one of them.

I'll try the PHP that Greg suggested, and rebuild the process.

Bill

--
E. William Horne
William Warren Consulting