[Discuss] Wireless devices, 2 Wireless Routers, local network. DD-WRT

Jack Coats jack at coats.org
Wed Aug 27 11:48:43 EDT 2014

Just what I do for my home. ... I like the ubiquiti NanostationM2.  Get a
couple of them (or one as a border router).  Configure one as a 'station'
(as your border router, to get the signal from the campground wifi) and the
other as a standard wifi router (or put another DD-WRT router here).

I also configure them to use a known-good DNS (google or opendns.org)
rather than depending on the supplied DNS.

Some places (camp grounds included) may have captured wifi, that requires
you to click/certify you will abide by their rules before they will let you
out.  There you might have to have a border router you can deal with that
web page.  I don't have a good solution for that. ... I see those pages for
access at hotels and some restaurants.  For those situations having a small
laptop or RaspberryPi with screen as your 'border router' might be useful.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 7:38 AM, <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:

> Here's the scenario:
>
> I like to go camping and often times they provide wireless access, but the
> camp site is often pretty far away from the wireless access point. I have
> a long distance wireless-G router with a high gain antenna. I have a
> second wireless-N router. Both routers are running DD-WRT.
>

> I should be able to connect to the camp ground's wireless with the high
> gain antenna using the Wireless-G router with a DHCP assign IP address. I
> should then be able to NAT to my own local subnet and be able to connect
> the Wireless-N to my local subnet and provide access to phones, tablets,
> and laptops.
>
> If these were standard linux boxes, this would be fairly easy, but the
> standard tools don't seem available on DD-WRT's shell.
>
> Has anyone done this? Got a good link? (I have googled, but the examples
> I've found aren't quite right or don't really work.)

><> ... Jack

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate" -
Henry J. Tillman
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"a nanosecond is the time it takes electrons to propigate 11.8 inches" - "
- http://youtu.be/JEpsKnWZrJ8
"Life is complex: it has a real part and an imaginary part." - Martin Terma