[Discuss] Do you have experience with "Drobo" Raid boxes?

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Mon Dec 29 10:21:59 EST 2014

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 09:08:33PM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
> Thanks for reading this.
>
> I'm setting up a file server, and it's attached to a couple of
> "Drobo" Raid boxes (http://www.drobo.com/), type "TD", which have
> about 18TB of storage each. They are connected via Thunderbolt 2
> cables, and according to a couple of disk-speed measuring apps,
> they're sending and receiving in excess of 180 MB/s.
>
> Actual transfer speeds from a fiber-channel controller, however, as
> measured by rsync transfers of large files, are only ~2 MB/s. All
> suggestions welcome.
>
> It's a Mac Mini, running OS X "Yosemite", with Server v4.1.

Drobo uses ZFS.

I don't think any of them have FiberChannel interfaces. They
come with Thunderbolt, gig-e, and USB-3, depending.

Also, I don't think any of them are called "TD". Do you mean
"5D"?

Are the drives re-silvering?

Do you get better results with a straight copy of a file than an
rsync?

-dsr-