[Discuss] Cisco's IOx architecture

Peter (peabo) Olson peabo at peabo.com
Sat Feb 1 03:35:41 EST 2014

On February 1, 2014 at 2:42 AM Tom Metro <tmetro+blu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is running applications on your router really such a good idea?
>
> http://gigaom.com/2014/01/31/in-a-distributed-world-cache-is-king-why-routers-are-becoming-the-new-server/
> [...]
>   Cisco's IOx architecture will be a Linux-based operating system that
>   will be embedded in forthcoming industrial routers.
>
>   And unlike its previous box software, Cisco says it plans to open the
>   IOx architecture up for others to run their own applications on

A router should be a router.  Allowing applications to run on it invites serious
security risks.

I want to go in the other direction.  I think there is already stuff I would
like to disable by deleting it.  It is a truism that an attacker cannot attack a
program/feature which isn't installed on the victim.

peabo