[Discuss] protecting kids online

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Wed Feb 5 18:35:20 EST 2014

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014, Kent Borg wrote:

> On 02/05/2014 12:00 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
>>  I have two nieces (7 & 9) with shiny new android tablets.  I've looked
>>  at various browser plugins and apps but nothing really stood out to me
>>  that would effectively block adult content and was no cost.  The couple
>>  of things I tried seem pretty easy to get around.  Anybody have any
>>  suggestions?

It is one thing to prevent accidentally landing on pornography and quite
another to prevent a determined user from finding pornography. The former
is much easier than the latter, and I imagine that is all that is really
required with nearly all girls and most boys. I wouldn't think of the two
nieces mentioned in the OP as "advanced and determined" adversaries for
whom DNS limitations are nearly transparent.

Daniel Feenberg