[Discuss] protecting kids online

Bill Horne bill at horne.net
Thu Feb 6 10:25:19 EST 2014

On 2/6/2014 7:51 AM, Kent Borg wrote:
> On 02/05/2014 11:21 PM, Bill Horne wrote:
>> Sorry to say it's much harder than you might think. The first time my
>> son asked for help
>> building a racing car for Cub Scouts, I did a search on "Soapbox
>> Derby" in Google.
>>
>> More than half the first page results were for porn sites.
>
> Odd, I tried that just now and I don't see any porn sites.
>
> Maybe we have a cause/effect mix up here.  I am pretty good about not
> letting Google store cookies so they give me straight results and
> can't cater to my "interests".
>
> Your "Soapbox derby" search was possibly getting results of previous
> searches mixed in.

That's unlikely: I don't buy soap or boxes  online, I'm not interested
in the Kentucky Derby, and if I wanted to see pornography, I would have
watched the suprabowl.

This is an interesting field of research, so I suggest you apply your
expertise in this area and suggest another reason why cause and effect
were so easily confused.

Bill
P.S. The search I mentioned occurred around 1998, so I agree with other
posters whom have suggested that Google has refined its search algorithm.

--
Bill Horne
William Warren Consulting