[Discuss] Why use Linux?

MBR mbr at arlsoft.com
Tue Feb 11 15:43:41 EST 2014

A few years back, I wrote an article for O'Reilly about something I'd
noticed starting in the 1980s.  Unix (and later Linux) had grown in the
direction of readable (i.e. ASCII) file formats, where MS-DOS had grown
in the direction of unreadable formats.  I think this is related to what
you're talking about.

And, based on my experiences working at DEC, I attribute some of this
tendency to an accident of hardware design that was cause such pain for
us software developers that we avoided more efficient hardware-oriented
data formats, and that pushed us toward using ASCII.

If you're interested, my article's "How an Accident of Hardware Design
Encouraged Open Source
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/02/22/open-formats-open-source.html>".

    Mark Rosenthal