[Discuss] Why use Linux? (back to original question)

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 20:28:20 EST 2014

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> I don't think I said Mac didn't come with these, it may have sounded
> implied. That was a "why linux" not a why not mac.

The implication is that Linux is better than $ALTERNATIVE because it has
all these things that $ALTERNATIVE lacks.

>> QEMU: OS X doesn't ship with it but it's installable via MacPorts.
> Not really supported by the qemu guys. How's the version updates?

Dunnow, I don't use it. Never saw the need.

> This must be new because we've never see it work. Give me a link to a
> howto because I don't believe it.

Ask Google about sparse images and sparse bundles.

Oh, and I can see the cries of "cheat" or the like. As if Linux never
did anything differently from MINIX.

> Yes, if MinGW is considered "supported" then I think we do not have enough
> common ground to discuss.

Depends on what you mean by "supported". Supported by Microsoft? Then
again, there is a vast array of things you can install on Ubuntu that
Canonical does not directly support. Fair is fair.

--
Rich P.