[Discuss] CIFS Usage

jbk jbk at kjkelra.com
Mon Feb 17 12:53:03 EST 2014

On 02/17/2014 09:28 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> You could remove the version you don't like and install
> the version you want from sources.
>
> It's a solution, a particularly bad one in the long run in
> my opinion. You won't get any security updates that way
> other than those you patch in and compile yourself.
>
> Moving away from SMB/CIFS is the better long-term move.

The thing is I can keep all of the current version, I only
need the one binary from the past as they can run concurrent
if need be.

Moving away would be good if I knew what pitfalls the
alternatives have. The thing is I know a lot about the
pitfalls of samba including a in depth document that
illustrates the kludges that have been implemented to make
it work as well as numerous bug reports.

Now I have invested in some scripts to automate the mounting
of shares for my users and that is a big time commitment
that I no longer have.

--
Jim KR
jbk at kjkelra.com