[Discuss] Windows 8.1 P2V (virtualize my new PC)

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 19:01:51 EST 2014

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> Actually, I have done this with Linux workstations with some luck.

My success rate has been, well, I didn't count but things got worse when
SATA replaced IDE in mass-market systems. In my experience, every SATA
controller is a weird disk controller. Some are weirder than others but
they're all weird, to the point where I gave up trying to do image-based
deployments to non-uniform workstations. It's less effort to do a clean
install from USB than it is to coerce an image to work on a given piece
of hardware.

--
Rich P.