[Discuss] encrypted linux systems

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Jan 27 13:23:51 EST 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Stephen Adler <adler at stephenadler.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've run across an interesting situation at where where I'm required to
> encrypt my desktop at home since it's owned by the government. Any
> advice on how to best setup an encrypted linux system? Preferably using
> some kind of encrypted hardware device which will not kill my disk IO
> rate?

I'm going to also put in a vote for software based encryption
(dm-crypt).   I've been using it
on my laptop for several years now.    Even with a simple dual-core
CPU, the tests I did of
disk IO at the time didn't seem to show any significant change in
throughput.   On a quad (or higher)
core desktop, I would expect it to be even less notable.

Since this is an imposed requirement, I think the first question is:
What does the outside agency
find acceptable?   It may very well be that they will only accept
hardware or commercial software (i.e.
"certified") solutions.

Bill Bogstad