[Discuss] network switch

Stephen Adler adler at stephenadler.com
Tue Jul 15 11:51:10 EDT 2014

Guys,

I was thinking that I may need to get a new switch for a set of
computers I have in a lab at work. Usually I would go get a dumb Gigabit
switch with 4 or 8 ports at Microcenter. But I'm thinking for this
situaion, I should get something a bit more sophisticated. A switch
which could manage perhaps some vlans. The idea is that I could assign
different subnets to different ports on the switch. I don't really need
routing capability and would prefer it not do that since it could mess
up the network in the building.

anyway, any suggestions on which model switch I should be looking at? I
want to mount it in a standard 19" rack.

Thanks. Steve.