[Discuss] business class ISP recommendations

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Wed Jul 23 07:22:45 EDT 2014

Are any of those three locations a residential location, or are they all
located in office buildings?

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:13 AM, Chris P. OConnell <omegahalo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have Comcast Business in three locations.  The service is extremely
> reliable.  I don't think I've ever had the circuit go down in three years
> at our Watertown location.  Our Weston location has more outages due to
> trees falling on the lines.
>
> I've dealt with tech support less than a handful of times, but they've been
> extremely responsive and have dispatched immediately when they need to.  I
> haven't run into port blocking issues or anything like that.  I've run
> Exchange servers, RDP servers, Linux boxes with SSH connections (though not
> on default ports), etc.  No issues.
>
> I am not a fan of Comcast residential service, but that's a topic for a
> different day.
>

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Stephen Ronan <sronan at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > If you were in their limited Boston/Cambridge footprint, I'd highly
> > recommend Netblazr for fixed wireless.
> >   -s.

> >> All the news about the congested peering points at Comcast and Verizon
> >> (which I'm guessing impacts business class customers as well) makes me
> >> even more unlikely to want to do business with these companies that I
> >> was already predisposed to avoid.
> >>
> >> That leaves RCN, which per Netflix's stats
> >> (http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa or see Google's version:
> >> http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/) actually ranks faster
> >> than Comcast and Verizon. RCN is also small enough that they wouldn't
> >> have the negotiating power to play these sorts of games with content
> >> providers.
> >>
> >> But, dealing with RCN's pre-sales operation has been lousy. I've gone
> >> weeks trying to get a few simple questions answered. And their coverage
> >> database is apparently so unreliable that they actually had to roll a
> >> truck to verify that my location had service.
> >>
> >> Another possibility I recently ran across (on Google's recommended ISP
> >> list) is:
> >> http://usai.net/
> >>
> >> which does fixed-wireless links in the Boston and immediate suburbs.
> >>
> >> Anyone with experience with this company?
> >>
> >> -Tom
> >>
> >> --
> >> Tom Metro
> >> The Perl Shop, Newton, MA, USA
> >> "Predictable On-demand Perl Consulting."
> >> http://www.theperlshop.com/
> >

> --
> Chris P. OConnell
> http://outlookoutbox.blogspot.com
> @omegahalo1 <https://twitter.com/omegahalo1>

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / 2013 PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6
2013 / ID 0x920063C6 / FP A5AD 6BE1 FEFE 8E4F 5C23  C2D0 E885 E17C 9200 63C6
2011 / ID 0x32A492D8 / FP 7834 AEC2 EFA3 565C A4B6  9BA4 0ACB AD85 32A4 92D8