[Discuss] Friends don't let friends run stock firmware

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 19:10:58 EDT 2014

On 7/28/2014 6:41 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> He's trying to spread the line, "Friends don't let friends run stock
> firmware."

I take exception to this line. I'm not my friends' sysadmin or help
desk. The problem isn't a matter of trust. It's a matter of embedded
operating systems being a pain in the ass to maintain. If I'm going to
bandy about recommendations then I recommend avoiding embedded OS
"routers". Use wall-wart servers or the like booting dedicated firewalls
like jtan or sentry firewall from ISO images copied to USB sticks.

--
Rich P.