[Discuss] Sync Revisited

John Hall johnhall2.0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 12:03:13 EDT 2014

For my personal & professional use I get by using Google Drive, or DropBox
to sync things like PDFs that require no security to my iPad, or Android
phone.
For everything else I use version control, scp or rsync+ssh as needed.
Still it would be really nice to have a secure private, automatic sync.

*Unison*
You have made a strong case for unison. Unison advantages:

   - installation is easy and requirements are quite small
   - low memory use on server and devices
   - quick start of sync
   - efficient diff sync (+ compression?)
   - stable code base
   - works with large files and large number of files
   - clients for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Andriod and iOS ( i did not know!
   Wow!)

How elaborate are your custom scripts for unison? I assume it just requires
rsync and unison on the server?
Is it automatic or do you initiate it?

I've used unison for an ad-hoc sync between say a desktop or sever and a
laptop or thumbdrive.
That's seemed to be to be what it's really useful for. On the down side the
last time I tried using it, it was a bit tricky to get the same version
installed on everything and that mattered.

Is https ftps file access from anywhere with login a requirement for you?
multiple user support?
Maybe those requirements would suggest ownCloud might be a better fit?

*ownCloud*
What about owncloud + docker?
http://dischord.org/blog/2013/07/10/docker-and-owncloud/
https://github.com/fedora-cloud/Fedora-Dockerfiles/tree/master/owncloud

Surely a node could also be doing mail routing, and webmail for a small
number of users, along with light ftp, http, maybe also ldap.
I give it a nod  for some uses if it makes supporting multiple users easy.
*Still it's non-free* and so while I might try it it does not make sense
for one user.

*BTSync*
How much extra memory does this consume and is it choking on large files?
How much slower is it?
Can you limit bandwidth as with a good BT client?