[Discuss] Antenna Signal Issues

Jack Coats jack at coats.org
Wed Jun 4 13:09:28 EDT 2014

In a wifi setup I have, I found it helped greatly to get a flat pannel
antenna.  It is directional, but 180 degrees not a 'beam'.  Still, it
helped boost reception for my situation.  The antenna generates a cardioid
pattern, so most of the 'active area' is out front and little behind.

Basically anywhere mostly in front of the antenna I got better
reception/transimission.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:

> On 6/4/2014 9:25 AM, Matt Shields wrote:
>
>> This is not computer or linux related but I'm hoping that someone on the
>> list might have some technical experience in radio signals or wireless
>> systems for audio engineering.
>>

> Wouldn't you rather talk about DMARC? ;-)
>
>  I have the following wireless equipment.  ...
>>
>> So the issue we think we have is range issue.  Can I buy a high gain
>> directional antenna and a splitter and run cables to each of the
>> devices(single antenna array)?  Or do I need to have the mic's and IEM's
>> use 2 separate antenna's since one is send and one is receive?  Or do I
>> need to have every system use a separate antenna?
>>

> Splitters cost power; as much as 1/2 of your power can be lost when using
> them.
>
> Directional antennas are a double-edged sword: you get /some/added gain in
> /some/ direction, but they are never perfect, and will tend to leave dead
> spots in odd places.
>
> I suggest you start simply: elevate the transmitters and receivers above
> the floor as much as you can, for example, by placing them on top of
> emergency lights. Try to get wireless mic receivers out in the middle of
> the crowd instead of on the stage: they work better when tied to
> ceiling-mounted video projectors in the middle of the room.
>
> Let us know how well that works. Simplest is always better.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Horne
> William Warren Consulting
> 339-364-8487

><> ... Jack

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate" -
Henry J. Tillman
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"a nanosecond is the time it takes electrons to propigate 11.8 inches" - "
- http://youtu.be/JEpsKnWZrJ8
"Life is complex: it has a real part and an imaginary part." - Martin Terma