[Discuss] GPS feature in cellphones?

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Fri Jun 6 14:57:57 EDT 2014

Rich Pieri wrote:
> A power off state does not disable this "feature" on smart
> phones and some feature phones. Either remove the battery
> or stuff it in a static bag (Faraday cage).

Eyebrows raised...that statement doesn't sound right.  I expect that a device
I own won't drain its battery if I turn it off.  GPS radio receivers draw
quite a bit of power, and 3G/4G transmitters probably draw even more.

If your statement about power-off were true, I would expect that phones with
even the biggest battery would drain within a week or two.

Battery removal works for (most) Android devices but Apple long ago decided
not to provide user-removable/replaceable batteries.

-rich