[Discuss] Opinions/Advice on router boxes w/ port forwarding

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 14:30:31 EDT 2014

On 6/16/2014 2:09 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> What's your budget? I think really highly of the Juniper
> SRX240h2, for example, but if you aren't planning on moving a
> couple hundred megabits per second across several links, it's
> probably wasted. ($2400ish, btw.)

For that kind of money I'd recommend Firewall-1 on IPSO. Solid,
reliable, does pretty much everything you could ever want from a
firewall box.

> At another scale, a Routerboard RB2011 is $129 right from the
> manufacturer (http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN ) and
> will supply wifi, 5 gig-e ports, 5 fast-e ports, and will
> certainly handle a house or small office with alacrity.

For that kind of money I'd go with something like a Celeron-based Intel
NUC kit and put Debian on it. Avoids all of the hassles of trying to do
security updates on embedded operating systems.

--
Rich P.