[Discuss] Linux book

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Mar 4 14:13:50 EST 2014

There are good books, for one reader but maybe not for another reader.
If you have a bookstore nearby with a good technical section, I suggest
looking for yourself. Page through the table of contents, look at
sections you know you will be interested in and see whether they would
be helpful.

Recently I went to the Harvard Coop in Cambridge, MA, and paged through
Python books, looking for one that my niece would find good. (She
expressed interest in learning some programming, and I was happy to
help. We need more females knowing about computers.) I grabbed the ones
I recognized and ones I did not, and I explored. My favorite Python book
was there, but when I tried to look at it through her eyes it didn't
look suitable.

I don't know yet how well I chose, but I am convinced that there is no
"best", it depends on the reader. If you have a suitable bookstore near,
do go there, and if you find a good book (or two) please buy it from
them and not Amazon.

-kb