[Discuss] What to do with Grampa's old TiVo box?

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sun Mar 23 17:37:33 EDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 01:50:33PM -0400, Pete Jalajas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have Grampa's old unused TiVO Series 2 DVR, model TCD540080 (essentially
> new in box with all accessories).  I googled around for how to convert it
> to MythTV or similar, but couldn't find any tutorials.  I'm guessing I
> should just sell it on ebay or recycle it, but thought I'd give the List a
> try.   Any suggestions?

There's nothing you can do with it other than use it as TiVo. If
it had a lifetime subscription attached to it, you can likely
use that to get a discount on a lifetime sub for a new TiVo box.

If you want to get a MythTV system together, the essential
aspects for sanity are:

- the right NVidia or Intel video system
- a separate disk for the database and OS (not very large)
- some sort of remote control system, either a keyboard/mouse or
  a programmable remote.

-dsr-