[Discuss] SSD drives vs. Mechanical drives

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed May 7 13:09:20 EDT 2014

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> And checksums can be incorrectly generated/verified by any hardware
> at any time.I claim that 100% data integrity is impossible. I don't
> think even ZFS can guarantee 100% data integrity with the right set
> of bizarre hardware failures in the CPU/RAM of the computer.

ZFS and Btrfs can guarantee 100% data integrity when writes are atomic
(drives honor sync commands) and ECC RAM is in use and sufficient
redundant data is available for reconstruction when errors are detected.
I leave it to the reader to read the ZFS and Btrfs whitepapers that
explain precisely why they can make these guarantees.

--
Rich P.