[Discuss] SSD drives vs. Mechanical drives

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu May 8 08:44:11 EDT 2014

On 05/07/2014 04:45 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> So, if you had to buy a new 1TB drive and you had a choice between a
> high quality consumer SSD and a mechanical drive at the same price,
> what would you buy?

Is there competition? Can you get two of the SSDs from different
manufacturers?  If so, run Linux software RAID 1 on two.

-kb, the Kent who, though he has anti-SSD prejudices, isn't completely
blind.

P.S. Though price parity would mean either a sale that is a lie, or a
big change in the whole industry. Rotating media *is* on the way out, we
just don't know in which decade it will finally happen.