[Discuss] smallest board that can handle 32 GB RAM

Matthew Gillen me at mattgillen.net
Thu May 8 10:17:51 EDT 2014

On 05/08/2014 09:04 AM, Kent Borg wrote:
> Compiling all of Android Open Source Project supposedly requires that
> much RAM, but I don't believe it. They are just saying that so people
> won't try on too slow a machine. Right?

Unfortunately, no. It really does suck up that much RAM. The compilation
process hasn't really been a focus for the Android team.

> I can certainly imagine uses for RAM, such as big databases in RAM,
> simulating the physics of the real world (weather prediction, Pixar
> rendering their new film, cosmology simulations of the big bang, etc.),
> but it is hard to come up with much more without resorting to strategies
> based on waste.
>
> How will I end of using my 16GB? How will you use 32GB?

Let me tell you, having that much filesystem cache is fantastic.  I
dislike IDEs (especially Eclipse, and doubly so Eclipse with the Android
ADT plugin).  But to work without an IDE you're going to be doing a lot
of grep operations.  With my box that has 16GB of RAM, I can grep across
250k LOC in a fraction of a second.  The same operation on my box with
4G RAM takes anywhere from 30 sec to minutes (depending on if I have
firefox and/or eclipse open).

I have another box that has 4G, and when running proguard on the
aforementioned 250k LOC android app, it basically eats up all memory to
the point where I can't run anything else on that machine if I don't
want it to thrash.

I'm not saying that the Android build process /has/ to be this memory
intensive, I'm just saying that it certainly /is/ that way currently.
And given the availability of cheap RAM, it seems they have not much
incentive to optimize that...

Matt