[Discuss] Gluster startup, small-files performance

F. O. Ozbek ozbek at gmx.com
Wed May 14 13:08:57 EDT 2014

On 05/14/2014 12:20 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 12:13:04PM -0400, F. O. Ozbek wrote:
>>
>> Like I said, we are not Cambridge.
>
> I think you're missing the point.
>
> Are all your servers connected to battery UPS systems?

Yes.

Are those
> connected to automatic transfer switched generators?

Yes.

Do you have
> a sufficient amount of fuel to run them as long as you will need
> to?

72 hours.

  Do you have a monitoring system that will tell you about all
> power transitions?

Yes,

Do you run fire-drills so that everyone knows
> what to do in a power outage?

Our data hosting vendor does.

  Is every system tested from end to
> end?

Yes.

And finally, have you compared the cost of all these things
> to the value of your data?

Yes.

> The lesson of Cambridge is that stable power isn't.
>
> The lesson of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003
> is that local power outages aren't.
>

> -dsr-

We know that. That is why we have all the stuff above.