[Discuss] comcast wifi question

Eric Chadbourne eric.chadbourne at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:26:12 EST 2014

On 11/04/2014 08:01 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 11/4/2014 7:40 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
>> How do I really know it's them and how do they really know it's
>> me?  I'm scared.  Can you make me feel better?  ;)
>
> SSL certificate are 100% reliable. (read: You don't.)
> There's nothing to worry about. (read: You should be.)
> Don't worry, be happy. (read: I can't.)
>
> Setting up valid-seeming but rogue access points is only slightly harder
> than dirt. For example, doing it with "attwifi" is a common practice for
> spoofing Nintendo Zone hotspots.

I wonder if they are keeping track of macs?  I told ios to forget the
xfinity ssid and in another part of town was able to connect without
having to open a browser and put in my user and pass, like I had to the
first time.  Fascinating.

I've tried two different vpn apps (avast & surf easy) and both really
sucked.  If I have some free time I might try rolling up an openvpn
server this weekend.  Using unencrypted wifi just seems insane.

- Eric