[Discuss] Revisiting VMWare ESX backup options

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 00:24:40 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu)
<blu at nedharvey.com> wrote:
> Even fewer can put their backup media into a locked vault which is inside their secure server closet and then transported, still locked to the bank vault, which is then locked during the transport into the safe box.

On-site backups aren't much of a backup.

There are companies who will store your offsite backups securely ...
or so they say.
I suspect that's secure from all but the Government anyway  but one
hopes they require a warrant first.

But if the tapes get lost in transit and aren't encrypted ... happens
more often than they'd like to admit ... you may have a PCI / HIPAA /
other personal data rights law issue, though, as anyone whose personal
data was on the lost tapes is probably entitled to notice.

So yes, backups that aren't encrypted may be a problem EVEN IF NO ONE
WANTS YOUR DATA.

Darn, I'm agreeing with R.P. again ...

--
Bill Ricker