[Discuss] Advanced file permisions

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 09:38:52 EST 2014

I have an auto mounted directory where I want to restrict access to only
members of a specific group, lets call it foogroup for now. I didn't want
to use netgroups for a number of reasons in that the NAS is run by a
separate team, and they use a different LDAP server than we do.

The way I set up the original top level directory is:
chmod 2770: rwxrws--- foogroup
But when I create a subdirectory I get:
rwx--S---

It worked well on another directory I used for source control where I
created 2 subdirectories with rwxrwx--- permissions, no group setgid bit,

The most important thing is that only member of foogroup can get into that
directory.

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: B7F14F2F
Key fingerprint: D937 A424 4836 E052 2E1B  8DC6 24D7 000F B7F1 4F2F