[Discuss] Wire tester (like a tone tester)

Scott Ehrlich scott at ehrlichtronics.com
Thu Oct 2 15:43:03 EDT 2014

Not quite Linux, but still admin/network-related -

I have a tone-test set to validate where a port is on a patch panel
from the office/wall port the transmitter is in.

Now, if any of the wiring between the wall and the patch panel is a
problem, is there similar testing gear to check on the wiring itself
(i.e Cat 6, PoE, etc) to help validate no kinks or broken wires?

I know there are plenty of cable testers to plug each end of a patch
cable into the tester and it checks the wiring that way, but if you
have a wiring closet a good distance from the port, I'd think you'd
need a "transmitter" and a "receiver" pair to help with the wiring
piece.

Thanks.

Scott