[Discuss] Revisiting VMWare ESX backup options

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Wed Oct 29 19:13:20 EDT 2014

I think you need to compute the price per byte, and I agree with you
that tape is more cost effective. Although I might use removable disk
media if it were removable and would be stored. Also tapes are written
and read serially (with the exception of the ancient DECTapes). For
backup purposes, I also think that tapes are less accident prone. I know
a business where the computer operator who was supposed to backup disk
to disk, used the backup disk and overwrote the production disk. They
were down for a few days trying to rebuild their files, and they were a
major food distributor in Atlanta, and many restaurants get daily
deliveries. So, this caused a significant loss of business. BTW: This
was an NCR system if that matters.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix