[Discuss] How do I add entropy?

Bill Horne bill at horne.net
Sat Sep 6 17:50:13 EDT 2014

On 9/6/2014 4:17 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Bill Horne<bill at horne.net>  wrote:
>> 2. Does "doing other things" on the system contribute to the entropy pool? In
>> other words, does Linux acquire randomness by monitoring the time between
>> keystrokes or mouse movements or similar "normal" events?
>
> Yes. Noise-bits from timing of Mouse, keyboard, and disk access are
> likely all to be harvested.

Thanks, that's nice to know.

Is there any way to speed the process? Short of putting up an antenna
and counting bits of static, how can I accumulate random bits more
quickly that by typing or moving the mouse?

Long story short, must I tough it out and copy "War and Peace" by hand
in order to get enough  entropy for a new key?

TIA.

Bill

--
E. William Horne