[Discuss] Personal finance software on Linux

Chris Johnson effigies at riseup.net
Fri Sep 19 15:13:09 EDT 2014

On 09/19/2014 02:35 PM, Rich Braun wrote:
> For about 2 years, I've been happily using Moneydance as a Quicken
> replacement.  It's a Java app that runs on any platform, and also has an
> iPhone app that (up until now) provided sync capability to my Linux server.
> Their 2014 release apparently broke wifi sync, and it's now deprecated.
> Here's the response I got from customer support:
>
>   "If you're using Wifi syncing, I'd definitely recommend
>   switching to Dropbox syncing as it's more stable, robust,
>   and there are unfortunately some issues with Wifi syncing
>   that we can't fix due to certain network configurations
>   over which we have no control. As well, Dropbox syncing
>   is end-to-end encrypted, meaning that all your data is
>   encrypted between your Moneydance application and your
>   Moneydance iOS app, with none of it being unencrypted on
>   your Dropbox folder. For these reasons, we've stopped
>   maintaining the Wifi syncing functionality and are
>   unable to fix most problems with it."
>
> Dropbox is putting up a new office building across the street from where I
> work, so I suppose there might be one throat to choke if anything goes wrong
> over there: but I'd still *really really* rather continue to self-host all my
> personal finance data.
>
> So, it's 2014 and I'm still in search for an excellent personal-finance
> manager that works on Linux, Windows and/or Mac, with sync to/from mobile. And
> whose data can be kept on storage media owned by me, not some cloud provider.
> (I guess I could go back to my old Windows-only method, but Windows is
> gradually fading out from my home network with the demise of Microsoft
> TechNet.)
>
> Your thoughts?

I've mostly replaced DropBox with SparkleShare, with the git remote
hosted on my home server. For my Android phone I use sgit, which
requires manual syncing, but the things I sync with my phone only need
it relatively infrequently. I'm not sure what the situation on iPhone is
for git clients or whether there's one that does a periodic
stash-pull-apply-push loop, but that would be the first thing I'd look into.

Chris