[Discuss] OT: Do CS grads need calculus?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Apr 11 07:45:11 EDT 2015

Sorry for the late response. I have found a number of times in my job as
a software engineer where having a background in calculus not only
helped, but I could not have done the job without it. I currently work
in IBM's Risk Analysis group where I do have to deal with
mathematicians, but to understand a complex algorithm you need the
background even though today, many of these algorithms are canned. But
the subject is CS grads. A CS grad generally needs to have a good
understanding of algorithms, and to do this calculus helps, especially
with the analysis of an algorithm. On many occasions I had to go into
some code and find out how to speed it up.