[Discuss] OT: Do CS grads need calculus?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sun Apr 19 12:00:45 EDT 2015

On 04/16/2015 02:34 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:56:29PM -0500, Jack Coats wrote:
>> Business employers (except for a comparative few) want PhD's and a couple
>> of post docs under the belt, who have been out of school 6 months, 22 to 24
>> years old, with 10 years of experience, and want to work for just under a
>> reasonable wage. ... That doesn't happen either.
> I assure you that I saw an ad asking for five years of Java
> experience in 1998.
>
> So that would be aimed at James Gosling and... who?

I have seen similar job reqs. I was a contractor at a company where my
boss wanted to hire someone with "Unix Workstation" experience. He
turned down a guy I recommended because he didn't have "workstation"
experience. He also hired a C programmer who had never coded C (and
never was able to)

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix