[Discuss] Change Management / Server Room auditor/logger recommendations?

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 20:21:23 EST 2015

On 2/8/2015 1:25 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> I thought manually tracking changes to machines and environments was
> outdated.

Depends on your environment. If you have a heterogeneous environment
then tracking all of the changes through a configuration management
system ends up being more work than tracking and implementing changes
manually. At the very least it means having another one-off, the
configuration system itself, to manage. At worst... I never personally
got to "worst" when I tried to apply Puppet to my environment. I
abandoned the attempt when it became clear to me that managing my
environment through Puppet would take around twice as much work as
managing it manually.

Append-only tracking makes more sense for environments like this. While
RT does work this way I wouldn't use it for this purpose. RT is a
ticketing system. Turning it into change log system would require more
effort than I think it's worth. A wiki can work for a small admin team.
Wikis aren't append-only but they have modification histories that can
be used to backtrack if someone mangles a change log. Or text files, one
per node, on Git-backed storage. Similar results without being locked
into a given wiki's database or having to deal with web-based bullet
point BS.

--
Rich P.