[Discuss] Event Timestamps

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Feb 14 08:02:24 EST 2015

On 02/12/2015 10:41 AM, Mike Small wrote:
> Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> writes:
>> store with the event (Python makes is to easy to put it in an
>> attribute), yet they don't capture something so basic. They do an
>> event queue, but don't tell me when the events happened. It is one
>> thing to not tell me about a double-click, but to not even give me the
>> data to decide for myself? Stupid!
> YAGNI gone wild?  I think you've written that you don't like Perl, but
> have you considered using a language with an on average more experienced
> user base?  What are your thoughts on Common Lisp? That seems to tend
> towards completeness from what I've seen from playing with it.

Python certainly tells you when an event happens. You have to bind the
specific event. For instance, I use a multi-column list (under Tkinter).
So, when someone double clicks on an element in one of the rows,
columns, I get a callback.
widget.bind(event, callback)
Here is the main Python page on events in Python 2.
https://docs.python.org/2/library/tkinter.html#bindings-and-events

The other graphical managers in Python also support events.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id:B7F14F2F
PGP Key fingerprint: D937 A424 4836 E052 2E1B  8DC6 24D7 000F B7F1 4F2F