[Discuss] Most common (or Most important) privacy leaks

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Feb 21 07:29:49 EST 2015

On 02/17/2015 04:11 PM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On 02/17/2015 04:05 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
>> All the talk about solving the password problem is interesting - but
>> not related to the original question -
>>
>> What is the most common, or most important, area that you actually
>> see people communicating insecurely, that should be secured?  Email
>> has got to be #1, and I'm guessing Dropbox/Box/Google Drive #2.  Is
>> that it?  Or is there more?
>>

> Phone?  How much personal and medical information (or passwords for
> that matter) is transmitted that way?  Doctor's offices still have to
> use fax machines, don't they?
>
> Voice phone is hard to secure unless you're doing VOIP over TLS, but
> even then unless you're doing end-to-end VOIP on a closed system
> there's usually a few hops where it is in the clear.
Unfortunately fax machines are a legal way to send information. While
today many transactions are done by email, fax is the only legally
recognized way to send a document. Remember that years ago the Mass.
attorney general wanted to use open pgp as a way to send secure
documents. But that never got very far.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix