[Discuss] Steve Gibson's SQRL

Tom Metro tmetro+blu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:27:26 EST 2015

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> SQRL is something you have - it's yet another key manager...

It's not quite so black-and-white. The master key is encrypted with a
pass phrase, so that's something you know.

I believe the master key isn't directly derived from the pass phrase, so
you still need to "have" the key in some way.

> I am in favor of 2-factor authentication, involving something you
> know, *and* something you have.

The decryption of the master key could involve a 2nd (3rd?) factor.

> cbcrypt.org...takes hostid, username, and password, and converts them
> into an asymmetric keypair. Only the public key gets exposed to the
> server, so the server is able to confirm that *you* know your secret,
> without the server actually knowing your secret.

SQRL uses an identical mechanism, but uses different source material for
the site-specific key.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro