[Discuss] No-SQL Database Recommendation?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Sun Jan 11 12:48:00 EST 2015

On 01/10/2015 05:39 PM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> There is this database religion thing that I don't get. Why at the
> specification phase do you say you would like a no-sql solution, the,
> ironically, enumerate a list of requirements that scream real database.

I would like to find a no-SQL solution because I hate SQL, it is
annoying. Worse, I have to program in one language for the bulk of my
program, and then I have to embed code in a second language to talk to
the database.

There might be technical reasons to cite for why some no-SQL program is
better than some SQL program, but in my case it is pure prejudice. A bit
like my preferring Python over Perl: there might be technical arguments
for why Python is better than Perl, but one I like Python better. I am
even getting kind of good at it.

> Using a free database like PostgreSQL will EASILY handle what you want to do.

Including finding the first few items in order really cheaply--without
finding all possible items first? Okay, I'll look at PostgreSQL.

Maybe there is a less painful way to use it from Python than I found
last I looked. I have always had a soft spot for PostgreSQL over MySQL,
and now that Oracle has taken over MySQL, even more so.

Thanks,

-kb