[Discuss] SQL discussion

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Wed Jan 14 08:46:13 EST 2015

On 01/13/2015 02:49 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 1/13/2015 1:39 PM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> Semantic arguments over canonically understood terms is not a good
>> start.
>> When one says "a SQL database," everyone knows what is being discussed.
>
> The only time that I've ever seen "a SQL database" having a
> "canonically understood" meaning is in regards to specific instances
> of Microsoft SQL Server databases. Then again, the fact that we're
> even having this argument suggests that when one says "a SQL
> database," /not/ everyone knows what is being discussed.
>

>>> SQL is a database interface language. It was designed specifically for
>>> use with relational tables.
>>
>> That is part of it, true, but not all of it.
>
> No, that's the entirety of it: SQL was developed specifically for use
> with relational data. Period. You can argue that it's not but if
> you're going to do that then I suggest taking it up with the guys at
> IBM who designed it.
Absolutely yes. SQL was the language used by IBM's Sequel product. I sat
on the ANSI database standards committee at the time when we released
the SQL standard. We also released the standard for network databases. I
think we are talking back in the early 1980s. But before that in the
1970s my company at the time was choosing a database for our IBM
mainframes, and we had a few choices, IBM's system that was a
hierarchial database, and a few others. But, on the committee we did
struggle with a number of items. For instance, should the committee
define number types. But we decided that number types were really the
responsibility of the computer languages. We added a number of things,
but later decided that IBM's Sequel was the defacto standard and we
reset to that.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix