[Discuss] My first contribution to MediaWiki

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Mon Jan 19 14:11:54 EST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:

> Nice!  I'm surprised there isn't an HTML import already.

Yeah, me too.  But it ain't easy.  Thanks to Tom Metro, I've rediscovered
Pandoc which will probably be a lot more useful as a conversion engine than
my original plan which was to use the node.js Parsoid service.  Anyway,
it's a work in progress.  At this point it's working, but I know that the
code can be improved a ton.

> One of the beefs I have with wikis I've used is importing (and exporting)
> existing documents that already have markup.
>
> I used to download all the Solaris documents in HTML to CD for use w/o
> internet connection.  It might've been useful to build a local wiki server
> to import them into.

Exactly, there are lots of cases where you have existing HTML, and would
want to import it into a wiki.

And not just for 'pure knowledgebase wikis'. Think about a satire site that
captures existing webpages and then lets users go to town "correcting" or
annotating the contents of the original :-)