[Discuss] Home server

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sun Jan 25 14:50:40 EST 2015

For what you want, any Linux distro should do it nicely. You don't even
need a dedicated server for it if we are talking about periodically
backing up things like photos. Depending on what you want to spend, A
low cost NAS like WD My Cloud (about $150) should more than suffice. The
reason for a separate server is to protect you from a massive disk
failure caused by a lightning strike or power supply failure. I have
used the older WD MyBook at work for backups. The device is slow, but
reliable.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix