[Discuss] Home server

Jack Coats jack at coats.org
Mon Jan 26 19:12:58 EST 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro+blu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to find a hardware/software setup that is optimized for backup
> storage, rather than performance and redundancy. For example, a hardware
> solution that allows attaching lots of hard drives, and hot-swapping
> them. Software that treats hard drives as removable cartridges,
> remembering what is stored on what disk. Similar to tape management, but
> modernized for hard drives.

That sounds like a system I started to design and build years ago.  It would
also do HSM.  To bad my 'black hole of data' system never got completed.

Back in CP/M days I had a system that would track contents and meta-data about
files stored on disks, but have never found one since.  As drives get bigger
programs and users just 'expect it to all be there all the time', but
I don't find that to be
necessary most of the time. ... Oh well. ... I too would like a system that you
described above.

--
><> ... Jack

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." -
Admiral Grace Hopper, USN
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
learn." - Ben Franklin