[Discuss] Passwords in Source Code?? Or, How to secure interprocess communications?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Sat Jan 31 13:53:54 EST 2015

All I am doing is connecting the server with the client code, on the
same machine. I don't care what the password is, only that the two
agree, on any given box.

How about this: Give every boot, of every box running the code, its own
unique password.

At every boot, create a new password in a boot script (read a UUID out
of /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid). Give it to Postgres and put it in a
config file with reasonable ownership restrictions appropriate to be
read by the client code.

Seems pretty simple.

-kb

P.S. Also turn off all but loopback access to the server process.