[Discuss] NAS: lots of bays vs. lots of boxes

F. O. Ozbek ozbek at gmx.com
Fri Jul 10 16:35:40 EDT 2015

On 07/10/2015 03:15 PM, Mike Small wrote:
> I guess my point is people shouldn't be slavish to that advice. It
> would be good if there were some to take up the detritus from those
> companies and enthusiasts who are churning through all this junk
> every couple years. Oh, and it would be nice if people would be a
> little less paranoid and not figure harddrives need to have holes
> drilled through them before turning them loose (not meaning to
> dredge up that debate again). I don't have an electron scanning
> microscope, scout's honour.

Most of the people who do the drilling ( I admit, I drilled hundreds
of drives) will actually agree with you. I agree with you 100% myself.
The data destruction is usually mandated by the
institution/organization/company. And, no, unfortunately, you can't
convince them otherwise
by technical arguments. If I had my own large company, I will overwrite
the entire drive with /dev/urandom and hand it to whoever wants it.

-- F. Ozbek