[Discuss] live streaming needs flash?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 19:22:40 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Eric Chadbourne <eric.chadbourne at icloud.com
> wrote:

> I've heard some smart folks say flash is needed for live streaming and
> nothing else is nearly as good.  I've heard them say there is no good open
> source option.  If this is true, why?  Surely there's no magic sauce in
> there that couldn't be replicated, or even done better.  Is it more of a
> matter of plugin saturation?  Just curious.

​There are FLOSS Flash replacements, but they're iffy, may or may not work
with a given site.

I suspect the reason for requiring Flash for streaming is to make
downloading-via-stream © violation harder.​

Supposedly they'll support HTML5 in the brave new world, but i suspeccit
was HTML5 in my flash-free Cromium that was crashing the GPU/video-driver
on multimedia.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com