[Discuss] memory management

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 10:19:10 EDT 2015

On 6/21/2015 9:18 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> I use multiple Firefox user profiles instead.   Some of them allow
> cookies/javascript and others do not.
> This probably doesn't help memory usage, but it does allow some (small?)
> security benefits.

Or use a script blocker like NoScript or uBlock. These offer significant
security benefits and significantly reduce memory footprint.

> I'm curious though, how this other user account gains access to your X
> server.   Allowing other
> user ids to write on your screen/capture key & mouse events seem to me to
> be a potential issue.

May need to use xhost to allow the second user access to the X server,
something like this:

xhost +SI:localuser:myffuser
sudo -u ffuser /usr/bin/firefox
xhost -SI:localuser:myffuser

It's not an issue on a single user box; it's the same user (human) with
a different UID.

--
Rich P.