[Discuss] memory management

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jun 21 15:28:00 EDT 2015

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 14:23:28 -0400
Tom Metro <tmetro+blu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've considered a low-tech solution, like having a background script
> pop-up a notification when free RAM drops below some threshold to
> prompt me to restart various long running and leaking processes.

That's not a half bad idea. I might do that too.

Another thing that might help is to have one of your gettys (Let's say
Ctrl+Alt+F6) running with a nice value of -20. You use it for nothing
except using top and killing things when everything bogs down.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key