[Discuss] A laptop for Linux

Chris Markiewicz effigies at riseup.net
Tue Jun 23 10:08:27 EDT 2015

On 06/23/2015 09:03 AM, Ted Roche wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The enterprise T-series Lenovo had been fine, but I'm hearing the
>> latest models that no longer have mice buttons aren't up to the old
>> standard. The last of the old enterprise models are still in refurb
>> channels.
>
> And the new-ish T450 and 550s are just arriving in the refurb
> channels. These have the "new and improved" buttons that replace the
> all-in-one trackpad that replaced the buttons we all loved.

Can't speak to the T series. Last I had was a T61 that was pretty solid.

I will note though that I've had problems with the X series. Nothing in
the way of days spent dealing with driver issues and kernel recompiles
but sleep/hibernation are finicky and sometimes require a hard reset,
and my work X230 ate through 3 hard drives and 3 LCDs before they
finally gave up fixing it and ordered me a new X250. This thing uses an
onboard Intel GPU which is... delicate. Videos that ran fine on older
machines are now flickery, and sometimes it craps out mid-repaint and
all of your windows turn into flat gray blobs until you reboot.

I've run a supported (either current or latest LTS) Ubuntu on all of my
ThinkPads, so it's wasn't a distro switch that caused the issues.

Frankly, I'm disinclined toward Lenovo entirely at this point, but if
anybody knows how much cross-pollination happens between the X and T
lines, that would probably be useful for making a decision on modern T
machines.