[Discuss] large log file transfer

Mike Small smallm at panix.com
Tue Jun 23 12:16:02 EDT 2015

Jack Coats <jack at coats.org> writes:

> Why split it?  It depends on how big big is.  Even compressed by gzip
> -9 if the file is 'too large', splitting it in half (or more parts)
> to get the size of each compressed portion below the threshold of
> data transfer 'pain' can make it possible to transfer large files
> over 'limited' links or with 'limited size media'.  I first ran into
> split back when using 128K floppy diskettes to move files.  The
> concept is still the same, just the definition of 'large' has
> changed.

To fit something of a given size into multiple bins smaller than that
splitting makes sense.  I'm not seeing the value for network transfers
unless a continue/resume feature or rsync is not available. It's more
work and clumsy.

Btw. there's an interview with curl's author on changelog.com:

http://fdlyr.co/d/changelog/cdn.5by5.tv/audio/broadcasts/changelog/2015/changelog-153.mp3

17 years and 13k hours mainting curl!

--
Mike Small